The diet-friendly Hot Salad formula that’ll make healthy eating effortless
After years of believing that I was destined to a lifetime of forcing myself to eat salads in the name of health, I accidentally stumbled upon a secret to healthy eating that changed my life.
The secret was Hot Salad, and since discovering it, I’ve managed to eat 2-4 cups of veggies almost every day of my life without even trying.
During this time I’ve developed a formula for building these salads that consistently produces hearty, tasty, healthy salads that feel more like comfort food than…well, salad.
I’d love for you to try this formula, experiment with it, and tell me your favorite combinations!
Some of my favorite Hot Salad combinations include:
- Cabbage and brussels sprout mix with roasted cauliflower and salmon, topped with horseradish sauce and walnuts
- Kale and broccoli slaw mix with roasted potatoes, sausage and sauerkraut, topped with mustard and rosemary
- Kale and spinach with roasted sweet potatoes and last night’s hamburger topped with homemade mayo.
What will you come up with? Tag me on Instagram (@stephaniehillberry) with your favorite combo.
And now, without further adieu–
The Hot Salad formula: two parts leafy veggie(s) that can take some heat + one part additional veggie(s) prepared by your preference + one part protein, then topped with your choice of herbs, nuts, and condiments. Serve hot (#obviously).
Here’s a (non-exhaustive) list of options for each category to get you started.
[two parts] Leafy veggies that can take some heat:
- Broccoli slaw
- Coleslaw mix
- Swiss chard
- Collard greens
[one part] Veggies raw, roasted, grilled, or stir-fried:
- Sweet potato
- White potato
- Green beans
- Carrots, parsnips
- Brussels sprouts
- Squash (all types)
- Peas (sweet, snap, snow)
- And basically any other veggie you can think of
[one part] Protein:
- Grilled chicken, steak, fish, pork
- And last night’s leftovers, including casseroles, pasta dishes, thick stews/chili, etc. (aka my favorite choice)
Top with a combination of one or all of:
Nuts & Seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Hot sauce
- Salad dressing